City of Cerritos logo

Skip to Content | Footer | Accessibility

E-News signup for e-mail/text updates


Planning and Building Permits

Updated September 28, 2018

Planning Applications | Building Applications

City planning approval is required for all businesses located in Cerritos. Development proposals and business license applications are reviewed by the Current Planning Division to ensure that proposed uses comply with local zoning requirements and meet the City's standards for development. Planning approval is required for building modifications, signs, landscaping, and other physical features. A conditional use permit (CUP) may be required for some businesses specified in the Cerritos Municipal Code, to ensure that proposed activities are compatible with existing development. For building renovations and new construction, a building permit issued by the Building and Safety Division is also required. Permits may be obtained Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The Building and Safety counter closes at 4:30 p.m. daily. If you are planning to construct a new building or expand an existing one, please contact the Department of Community Development at (562) 916-1201 to learn about required approvals and permits.

To check the status of an existing building permit or request a permit inspection, contact the Building and Safety Division at (562) 916-1209.

For a detailed guide of necessary forms and applications required for projects, please click the link provided below:

Application and Building Permit Forms (PDF)

Below is a list of business-related permit applications available for download and other helpful information:

Planning Applications and Information

Agency Referrals

Art in Public Places Program FAQ (PDF)

Boarding House Permit Application (PDF)

CEQA Compliance Protocol (for environmental assessments and special studies requiring third party preparation)

Cerritos GIS Mapping Tool (property information and planning approval history)

Conditional Use Permit (CUP) Application (PDF)

Development Code Amendment Application (PDF)

Development Map Amendment Application (PDF)

Electric Vehicle Charging Station Application—Commercial/Industrial (PDF)

General Plan Amendment Application (PDF)

Master Fee Schedule (PDF)

Precise Plan Application (PDF)

Sign Permit Application (PDF)


Solar Energy System Application (PDF)

Starting a Business in Cerritos: Flow Chart (PDF)

Subdivision Map Application (PDF)

Temporary Sign Permit Application (PDF)


Temporary Use Permit Application (PDF)


Tree Removal

Commercial/Industrial Administrative Tree Removal Application (PDF)

Commercial/Industrial Discretionary Tree Removal Application (PDF)

Commercial/Industrial Emergency Tree Removal Notification/Application (PDF)

HOA Administrative Tree Removal Application (PDF)

HOA Discretionary Tree Removal Application (PDF)

HOA Emergency Tree Removal Notification/Application (PDF)

Private Parkway Tree Removal Application (PDF)

Tree Preservation Manual (PDF)

Wireless Equipment Collocation Evaluation Form (PDF)

Wireless Indoor Distributed Antenna System (iDAS) Policy (PDF)

Wireless Telecommunication Permit Application (PDF)

Building and Safety Permit Applications and Information

These must be accompanied by building plans and other applications as required. Please note, building permits may be obtained Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. The Building and Safety counter closes at 4:30 p.m. daily.

Building Permit Application (PDF)

Construction and Demolition (C&D)
Waste Management Forms (PDF

Electrical Permit Application (PDF)

Grading/Landscape Permit Application (PDF)

Master Fee Schedule—City Building and Safety Fees (PDF)

Mechanical Permit Application (PDF)

Miscellaneous Permit Application (PDF)

Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)

Sewer Permit Application (PDF)


Print, complete, and sign the application above for your project and bring it to the Department of Community Development for review, along with any required plans and attachments. Copies of these applications are also available at the Department of Community Development in City Hall.

In addition to City approvals, review and approval by other agencies may be required. City staff can assist in identifying these outside-agency approvals.

Back to Article Top