Water Conservation Tips
Updated March 10, 2014
Water conservation is extremely important. The City of Cerritos offers the following conservation tips:
- Use sprinklers or hoses during off-peak hours, such as in the early morning or evening to reduce evaporation and interference from wind.
- Use organic mulch around plants to reduce evaporation.
- Adjust sprinklers to avoid watering homes, sidewalks or streets. Check your sprinkler system for leaks, overspray and broken sprinkler heads.
- Run only full loads in clothes washers and dishwashers.
- Avoid flushing toilets unnecessarily; dispose of tissues, insects and other similar waste in the trash instead.
- Donít leave the water running when washing dishes, brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Fix leaking faucets and save 20 gallons of water per day.
- Wash your produce in a pan that is partially filled with water instead of running water from the tap.
- Store drinking water in the refrigerator rather than letting the tap run to get a cold glass of water.
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway or sidewalk and save 150 gallons of water each time.
- For fish owners, when you clean your fish tank, use the water youíve drained on your plants. The water is rich in nitrogen and phosphorus, providing you with a free and effective fertilizer.
For more water conservation tips, visit water.ca.gov.