Updated July 22, 2015
The City of Cerritos strives to create a business-friendly environment by making it easy and inexpensive for new and existing businesses to operate within Cerritos. In 2010, the City of Cerritos was awarded the Most Business-Friendly City Award for cities with a population under 50,000 residents, by the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation. There are many different incentives and benefits for businesses to locate and expand within the City of Cerritos. Below are several of the benefits and incentives that the City offers to Cerritos businesses:
Strategic Business Location
Cerritos is conveniently located along the SR-91, I-5, and I-605 with easy access for potential consumers, employees, and deliveries. Located on the border of Los Angeles County and Orange County and equidistant from many larger cities, Cerritos has positioned itself as a regional shopping and cultural destination drawing potential customers from different Southern California regions.
Streamlined Development/Permit Process
The City offers hassle-free, fast track permit processing for businesses that wish to expand its existing business, make tenant improvements to existing buildings, or obtain permits necessary for occupancy.
Average Time Frame for Permitting/Licensing
|Permit Type||Approximate Time Frame|
|Business License||7-10 days|
|Entitlement Approval||3 months|
|Tenant Improvement Approvals||1-6 months depending on extensiveness of improvement|
No/Low Property Tax and Fees
- The City of Cerritos is a "No/Low Property Tax" city. Cerritos businesses are not assessed any additional property taxes other than the property tax assessed by Los Angeles County.
- There are no additional business taxes except for the Cerritos business license fee. Cerritos maintains one of the lowest business licensing fees in all of Los Angeles County.
- Businesses do not pay City Utility User taxes, City User fees, City Impact fees, Street Lighting Assessment Fees, or Library Assessment Fees.
- Cerritos offers businesses one of the lowest water rates in both the County and the region.
- The City of Cerritos offers local businesses a 5% discount on electric utility costs.
Access to City-wide Amenities
- All employees of Cerritos-based businesses have access to the award-winning Cerritos Library and are eligible for a free Cerritos Library card. The Cerritos Library offers several distinctive meeting rooms, such as the Board Room, Hi Tech Training Room, and Skyline Room and Terrace, suitable for corporate training, board meetings, and banquets.
- Twenty-six park and recreational facilities such as an indoor Olympic-size swimming pool and fitness center, baseball and soccer fields, running tracks, a nine hole executive golf course, and beautifully landscaped park facilities are available for Cerritos employees. Employees of Cerritos businesses may also join the Liberty Park Fitness Center and the Cerritos Olympic Swim and Fitness Center.
Business-Oriented Development Zones
The City of Cerritos has designated a specific business-oriented planning zone, the Cerritos Industrial Park, for industrial and manufacturing businesses strategically located along the SR-91, I-5, and I-605 freeways. The Cerritos Industrial Park is a Master-planned industrial community zoned Development Area One (ADP 1), and that is well-maintained both aesthetically and infrastructurally to create a work environment conducive to business development and growth.
Business Development Programs
- Cerritos Ombudsman Program: The Cerritos Ombudsman Program serves to establish a partnership between the City and the Cerritos business community in order to facilitate communication between the City and businesses concerning growth and expansion opportunities.
- Business Retention & Expansion Program: The Business Retention & Expansion Program (BRE) was established to provide assistance to at-risk businesses for the purpose of improving business operation conditions and economic climate.
- Business Spotlight Program: Every month, the Cerritos Business Spotlight Program showcases a local business in an effort to promote Cerritos-based businesses. Nominated businesses receive a proclamation award during a City Council meeting and are highlighted on the Business Spotlight Page.
- Site Selection Program: The Site Selection Program assists prospective businesses in identifying and locating potential business space in Cerritos.
- Cerritos Business Visitation Program: In an effort to maintain a proactive approach to meeting local business' needs, the City implemented a Business Visitation Program to allow for open communication between businesses and the City. This program allows businesses to voice concerns and set priorities for community economic development efforts.
Economic Development Strategies
- Quarterly Economic Profile: A quarterly economic profile is prepared by the City to conduct market trend analysis and to develop strategies for the City's Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) Program.
- Economic Development Commission: Cerritos' appointed Economic Development Commission meets on a quarterly basis to provide City staff with guidance for economic development policies. The members of the Commission are long-time Cerritos residents, with knowledge and expertise related to the business sector, who desire to continue Cerritos' tradition of being a hassle-free and convenient place to do business in.
Educated Work Force
Cerritos is home to top ranking high schools and is in close proximity to various higher education facilities including Cerritos Community College. These educational facilities produce some of the brightest and hardworking potential employees positioned to transition into the work force for businesses seeking employees.