Open House & Garage Sale Sign Regulations
Updated May 16, 2011
To ensure a safe and beautiful environment, the City of Cerritos has established regulations for the temporary placement of real estate and garage sale signs in the public right-of-way.
Real Estate Open House Directional Signs
Hours allowed: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
Garage Sale Signs
Hours allowed: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. A maximum of two garage sales per year are permitted. Please contact the Community Safety Division for additional information.
Rules for Real Estate & Garage Sale Signs
- Signs can be up to 36” tall from above the top of the street curb, with a total area of less than fivesquare feet.
- Do not place in street medians.
- Do not place on sidewalks or walkways.
- Do not place in any area that interferes with pedestrian or vehicular circulation.
- Do not place in a location that interferes with drivers’ visibility.
- Do not attach signs to trees, poles, utility boxes, bus benches, trash cans or fire hydrants.
- Do not use flags, pennants, streamers or balloons.
- Signs placed in the parkway can only be located between the curb and sidewalk, or within a landscaped area.
- Only two signs for the same open house or garage sale are allowed between street intersections on the same side of an arterial street.
- Only one real estate open house directional sign for the same open house is allowed inside residential tracts for each directional change.
Penalties for Violation
- Any sign in violation of these regulations may be removed or confiscated by the City.
- Real estate signs that are confiscated by the City will only be held for 10 days. The real estate agent or company can recover the signs at a cost of $20 each. Real estate open house directional signs that are not recovered within 10 days from the date of confiscation shall be disposed of at the discretion of the City of Cerritos.
- Violation of these regulations will result in an infraction citation with a fine of $50. Every additional violation occurring within one year of a first citation will be punishable by a fine of $100.
For more information, call the Cerritos Code Enforcement Division at (562) 916-1203.