Cerritos Community Organizations
Updated January 16, 2013
How to Become an Approved Community Organization
To Become An "Approved Community Organization," follow these steps:
- Complete the Community Organization Application (PDF) form, providing all of the required information. Application forms can be obtained from the Recreation Services Division at City Hall or can printed from this website, completed and mailed to the City. Be certain that the organization president signs the form.
- Prepare a complete roster of all your organization's members. This roster must include all group members and their complete address, city and phone number.
- Obtain a copy of your organization's by-laws which describe your group's purpose, procedures, etc.
- Written proof of registration as a non-profit organization, from the State of California or the IRS. For information or assistance on filing for non-profit status, you may contact the Tax Exempt/Government Entities Customer Service office at (877) 829-5500 or visit the government web site at irs.gov.
- Sports groups that wish to utilize City fields or facilities for play must provide an "original copy" of a certificate of insurance in the amount of $1 million, naming the City of Cerritos, its agents, officers, employees and volunteers as "Certificate Holder" and "Additional Insured."
- Submit all of the above items (application form, roster and the by-laws) to: City of Cerritos, Community & Safety Services Department, Recreation Services Division, P.O. Box 3130, Cerritos, California 90703.
It will take approximately two weeks to review your group's application and you will be notified of its status by mail. If you have any questions regarding this process, please call (562) 916-1254, or send an e-mail to the City's Recreation Services Division.
Community Organization Overview
The City of Cerritos is fortunate to have dozens of Community Organizations such as clubs, churches, sports groups, scout troops, etc., which help improve the quality of life in the community.
If your group would like to be recognized as an "Approved Cerritos Community Organization," your group must submit the necessary application form and materials to the City's Community & Safety Services Department for review. City staff members thoroughly analyze each application to determine:
- The purpose of the organization and its potential benefit to the community.
- The level of involvement by Cerritos residents in the organization.
If approved, the organization may become eligible to reserve City facilities for group functions and participate in certain community programs based upon group type.
Placing an Announcement on TV3
Cerritos TV3 cablecasts announcements on the activities, meetings and services of Cerritos registered A and B organizations that have approved rosters and by-laws. Eligible community groups can fill out a Cerritos TV3 Announcement Form.