City of Cerritos logo

Skip to Content | Footer | Accessibility


Facebook logoInstagram logoLinkedIn logoYouTube logoX logo

E-News signup for e-mail/text updates


Sewer Service Fee Reduction

Updated August 21, 2012

A reduction of the annual sewer service charge is allowed for single-family homes, condominiums, and commercial parcels when the parcel owner can demonstrate that the water usage at the parcel is significantly below the estimated wastewater discharge calculated using the standard loading factors.

Q. How can I qualify for the reduction?

A. You must own your own home (sorry, renters are not eligible) and meet the following criteria:

  • You must live in a single-family home and you must have used less than 123 hundred cubic feet during the past 12 months. For a condominium, the water consumption must be 93 hundred cubic feet or less for the last year.
  • You must provide proof of this low water usage. For proof, visit the Water Billing counter at Cerritos City Hall or call (562) 916-1235. A water billing clerk can print your 12-month water usage history within a few minutes.
  • You must submit a completed application for the sewer fee reduction to the County Sanitation Districts. Applications are available by calling the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County at (562) 908-4288, extension 2727. Your application should be mailed with proof of your water usage to the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, Service Charge Program – Room 104, 1955 Workman Mill Road, P.O. Box 4000, Whittier, CA 90607.

Q. Will the rate reduction appear on my water bill?

A. No, the sewer service fee appears on your annual property tax bill. The fee is charged by the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, not by the City of Cerritos Water Division.

Q. Is this a rebate program?

A. No, this is a rate reduction program for low water users.

Q. Do I need to qualify for this reduced rate every year?

A. No, once you qualify, the rate reduction will remain in effect until your property is sold, or there is a change in land use.

Q. Who should I call for more information?

A. Residents who need additional assistance may call the County Sanitation Districts at (562) 699-7411, extension 2727. To learn more about the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County, visit their website at

Back to Article Top