Tobacco Retailer’s License
Updated June 20, 2013
On February 14, 2008, the Cerritos City Council adopted an ordinance requiring businesses that sell tobacco to obtain a City of Cerritos tobacco retailerís license. The licensing ordinance also provides for the suspension or revocation of the license if the merchant sells tobacco products to minors or violates other local, state, or federal laws related to tobacco sales.
- Tobacco retailer’s licenses are issued by the City of Cerritos Business License Division.
- The tobacco retailer’s license costs $50 per year, and must be renewed prior to the expiration of the payment term.
- The tobacco retailer’s license is only required for merchants who sell any products containing tobacco and must be obtained prior to selling these products.
- The tobacco retailer’s license must be posted in a conspicuous location on the premises that is visible to the public.
- The tobacco retailer’s license is non-transferable and is valid only for the person and location issued for the period indicated, unless it is suspended or revoked for cause.
Penalties will be imposed as followed pursuant to Chapter 5.35 of the Cerritos Municipal Code:
- 1st Violation—Written warning
- 2nd Violation within three years of first violation— Thirty (30) day suspension
- 2nd Violation within twelve months of first violation— Ninety (90) day suspension
- 3rd Violation within three years of first violation— Ninety (90) day suspension
- 4th Violation within three years— License Revocation
To Obtain a license
Visit the City of Cerritos Business License Division, located at Cerritos City Hall, 18125 Bloomfield Avenue, Cerritos CA 90703
For additional questions, please contact the Business License Division at (562) 916-1236