Recreation Services Program Highlights
Updated July 1, 2015
"Parks make life better!"
Following is a listing of certain upcoming Recreation Services Division programs and activities. Many of the activities require advance registration and participation numbers are limited. Cerritos residents receive priority in registration. To find out about registration dates and procedures, please call the Recreation Services Division Office at (562) 916-1254.
Join us for the Family Entertainment Showcase and enjoy family-oriented fun throughout the summer. These events provide an ideal opportunity for families to build ties of affection, support, teamwork and common interests. All activities are free, including movies, children's entertainment and a variety of concerts. For the enjoyment of all and pursuant to the Cerritos Municipal Ordinance 9.48.030(p), dogs, cats or pets are not allowed in the park during special events and concerts. In addition, pursuant to the Cerritos Municipal Ordinance 9.49.020, smoking is prohibited within the boundaries of all City of Cerritos public park facilities. For additional information, please call the Recreation Services Division at (562) 916-1254.
Monday Night at the Movies
Enjoy popular family and animated classics under the stars at Liberty Park. Each Monday evening, a different film will be shown. All movies are rated G unless indicated otherwise. Each movie will begin at 8:15 p.m. and early arrival is suggested. Please bring a blanket for seating. Snacks will be available for a nominal fee.
- July 6 The Lion King (G)
- July 13 Lego Movie (PG)
- July 20 Earth to Echo (PG)
- July 27 The Book of Life (PG)
- August 3 How to Train Your Dragon 2 (PG)
- August 10 Charlotte's Web (G)
- August 17 Epic (PG)
- August 24 Rio 2 (G)
Tuesday Family Nights
Spend quality time together as a family and a neighborhood. As part of the ongoing Family Enrichment Program, Tuesday nights are devoted to family bonding. Families can enjoy entertainment, programs or activities at four neighborhood parks. Each program will begin at 6:30 p.m., last approximately 45 minutes and will have a pre-show craft or activity. Please arrive early and bring a blanket for seating. Snacks will be available for a nominal fee. Please note that there are no restroom facilities at Friendship Park and Sunshine Park.
- July 7 Frontier Park Prehistoric Pets
- July 14 Sunshine Park Jeff Abbit Juggling & Variety Show
- July 21 Friendship Park Disc Dogs
- July 28 Westgate Park The Magic of Arty Loon
- August 4 Frontier Park Mad Science
- August 11 Sunshine Park Franklin Haynes Marionettes
- August 18 Friendship Park Tribe of Tahquitz
- August 25 Westgate Park One World Rhythm
Wednesday Little Kids' Big Show
There's fun for the entire family in the Liberty Park Amphitheater with free entertainment and activities. Bring a picnic dinner and enjoy the performance. Early arrival is suggested. The amphitheater gates will open at 6 p.m. and each show will begin at 6:30 p.m. No chairs of any kind are allowed inside the amphitheater; please bring a blanket for seating. All shows are approximately 45 minutes in length and will have a pre-show craft or activity. Snacks will be available for a nominal fee.
- July 8 The Amazing Dave
- July 15 Silly Science Show
- July 22 Michael the Juggler
- July 29 John Abrams Animal Magic
Thursday Concerts Under the Stars
The Heritage Park Island Stage will be the hottest ticket in town this summer as exciting musical groups perform. Relax with family and friends on a blanket while enjoying a picnic dinner. Each concert will begin at 7 p.m. The shows are outside on the lawn and it does get chilly, so bring a jacket. Snacks will be available for a nominal fee.
- July 9 80z All-Stars (80s)
- July 16 Basix (Top 40)
- July 23 The Blue Breeze Band (Motown)
- July 30 Embromar (Latin Jazz)
- August 6 Abbey Road (Beatles Tribute)
- August 13 Smoking Cobras (Oldies)
- August 20 Surf Tunes (Beach Boys Tribute)
- August 27 Gold Rush Country (Country)
- September 3 Upstream (Reggae)
Friday Concerts in the Plaza
Enjoy a Friday evening at the Liberty Park plaza as musical groups perform. Relax with family and friends on a blanket or enjoy a picnic dinner. Each concert will begin at 6:30 p.m. The shows are outside and it can get chilly, so bring a jacket.
- July 10 Danny Dean and the Rockabilly Lovers (Rockabilly)
- August 14 Michael Bennett (Contemporary)
Cerritos residents requesting a Birthday Party Package must have a reservation at one of the picnic shelters at Cerritos Park East, Heritage Park or Liberty Park. Fee for the package is $45 (the shelter rental fee is a separate/additional fee). Recreation leaders will provide activities for 45 minutes. Packages are available on Saturdays and Sundays between the hours of 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. For more information, please call Heritage Park at (562) 916-8570, Liberty Park at (562) 916-8565 or Cerritos Park East at (562) 407-2611.
Cerritos residents are permitted to have a special attraction/moon bounce at their family or neighborhood related functions. Please be aware of the following policies:
- Advance reservation for a shelter is required. There are a limited number of areas designated at each facility and the item must be powered by a gasoline generator. All special attractions must be supervised by an adult from the time they are delivered until they are picked up.
- Choose from one of the vendors who have a current certificate of insurance on file with the City of Cerritos or select an alternate company.
- If using an alternate company, an original certificate of insurance is required in the amount of one (1) million dollars, naming the City of Cerritos, its officers, employees, agents and volunteers as additional insured and a supplement endorsement. Both items are due at least ten (10) business days prior to the reservation.
- Moon bounce/jumper size must not exceed 15' x 15'; no combos, climbers, water attractions, or slides.
- All special attraction requests are subject to approval by the Facility Coordinator and Supervisor.
Please visit one of the Cerritos Community Centers – Cerritos Park East, Heritage Park or Liberty Park – for reservation information and facility availability. Moon bounces are only allowed at the following recreational facilities, during normal operating hours: Cerritos Park East, Frontier Park, Heritage Park, Liberty Park and Westgate Park. For more information, please contact the Recreation Services Division at (562) 916-1254.