City of Cerritos logo

Skip to Content | Footer | Accessibility


Facebook logoInstagram logoLinkedIn logoYouTube logoX logo

E-News signup for e-mail/text updates


Sign regulations help keep City clean and safe

Updated April 6, 2020

Oversized, cluttered or abandoned signs are a regular complaint reported to the City's Code Enforcement Division. For the benefit of residents and businesses, the City's guidelines for signs follow:

Signs announcing garage sales, boutiques or real estate open houses are allowed, but may not be posted on public property, such as street signs, parkways, trees and walls. These signs must be taken down the night the event ends.

Political Signs

Political signs may be posted on private property only, with the owner's or tenant's permission, and may be a maximum of 32 square feet. Political signs endorsing the same candidate, proposition or political issue are limited to one two-sided sign per 100 feet of street frontage. They must be removed within five days after the election.

Business Signs

Each business is allowed one wall-mounted identification sign. Signs must be approved by the City's Community Development Department on City Hall's second floor, and the business owner must submit a sign-permit application.

Temporary Signs

Businesses are also allowed to post temporary signs, such as flags, banners, balloons and pennants, for grand openings, special events and promotions. Temporary sign permits are available from the City's Community Development counter.

These temporary signs can be displayed for a maximum of 14 days, for a maximum of five time periods per year. Banners must be attached to a building, and one banner is allowed for each elevation.

Window Signs

Window signs may be a maximum of 50 square feet or 10 percent of the window area, whichever is less. One sign per occupancy is allowed. Two are allowed if the window area exceeds 250 square feet.

For more information on the City's sign regulations, or to report any concerns, please call the Code Enforcement Division at (562) 916-1203.

Back to Article Top